I'm writing this post for my friend Mrs Hen who LOVES spring rolls. Prawn ones. Vegetable ones. All the spring rolls in the world! Hahahah!! ^_^
These are real basic instructions that you can just follow (and I'm sure there's millions of posts and videos out there that will show you the same thing). The ingredients do not have to be exactly the same as the ones shown here! My friend, who I will call Mrs Travels, used cheese and prawns, and they were delicious (she's Chinese as well, and married to a Frenchman a.k.a. Mr Travels)...
So basic ingredients needed are as follows. You can use vegetables alone if you don't like to add meat or seafood. The wrappers cost £1.50 and there's 50 wrappers in the packet. Pre-cut vegetables for £1. Cooked shrimps were £2.50 (from a stall in East Street Market) and the egg - I guess this cost a few pennies but they came in a box! ^_^ So this Chinese snack cost just over £5! Not bad. In most restaurants and takeaway stores they will sell 2, 3 or 4 spring rolls for £1 or more!! Shocking!
Here's the picture instructions and full instructions are below (sunlight was in the way for the first few pics, whoopsie ¬,¬")...
|Place wrapper diagonally|
|Place a tiny amount of vegetables and 2 or 3 shrimps at the end facing you|
|Fold the tip over the ingredients|
|Roll once (or twice if there's loads of ingredients)|
|Fold in edges, then roll|
|Use some egg white to seal the roll|
|Prawn and salad spring roll made ^_^|
|34 wrapped spring rolls!!!! Made in half an hour!!!|
|Add the spring rolls into the preheated pan and oil|
|Cook for 2-3 minutes per side (it's like cooking a sausage)|
|Done! Some tasty spring rolls ^_^|
1. Cooked shrimps (the ones above I bought from East Street Market, which were in salt water). Or you can use defrosted prawns
2. Pre-washed and chopped up vegetables (you can prepare your own if you wish)
3. 1 egg (use only the egg white and you can discard the yolk)
4. Defrosted spring roll wrappers, which you can find in any Asian store - there are largers ones available. You can also use the round ones.
5. Vegetable oil for frying
How to prepare and cook (you can find instructions on the spring roll wrappers too):
1. Take one of the defrosted wrappers, making sure that one of the pointed sides is facing you (as in place it diagonally)
2. Take a small amount of the pre-washed vegetables and place at the pointed edge facing you, but leaving some space at the end...
3. Add a couple of shrimps on top of the vegetables
4. Fold the tip of the edge (the one facing you) over the filling
5. Then roll over once (or twice if you have a lot of ingredients)
6. Fold the edges inwards, then continue to roll
7. Once you reach the end of the rolling, dab a little egg white and then roll it over once more. The egg white will seal it.
8. Place in a plate and cover either with a clean damp cloth or a piece of kitchen roll
9. Repeat the above until you have run out of ingredients or until you have enough
10. Heat your frying pan (or deep fryer or big saucepan), add your oil
11. Slowly add in your spring rolls (about 5 or 6 at a time - depends on the size of the pan you use... I added about 11 or 12 in one go)
12. If you are using a frying pan, fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side (like frying a sausage)... For a deep fryer or a sauce pan - for about 3 minutes or until they are golden brown
13. Remove the spring rolls and place them onto a plate. You can use some kitchen towel to remove the excess oil...
14. Repeat steps 10-13 until you have cooked them all... Otherwise you can store them by freezing them until you are ready to use them. You can cook these frozen so you don't need to defrost them)
15. Finally let them cool for 5-10 minutes before eating and serving them
And that's how you make spring rolls!! ^_^